Dorm Living Essentials
Posted by Kristen Stannix on
We know it feels like school just ended but it is already time to start thinking about going back to school. The good news is your child is leaving the nest and going to college or university, the bad news is your child is leaving the nest and going to college or university. Every school will have a list of required items, but here is our list of the essentials for going back to school and making your new residence feel more like a home away from home.
TOP 10 Dorm Room Essentials
- Blanket or Throw- Whether you’re curling up with your friends to watch a movie or studying for a big exam, you will need a soft and cozy throw or blanket. Our most popular is the Sherpini blankets and throws. Available in some great colours and they wash and wash and wash and always feel great!
- Sheets- It is important to know the size of the mattress at your new residence or dorm. Most schools have a twin XL size mattress (39” X 80”), which regular twin (39” X 76”) sheets will not fit. Luckily, we have an assortment of twin XL and twin sheets at Heirloom Linens ranging from soft Microfibre to easy care Polyester/Cotton , organic flannel to bamboo, and cotton percale to sateen cotton sheets. You also will want to think about if you will have your sheets back the same day from laundry. We suggest purchasing a second set for those situations. It would not be ideal to head back to your room after a long day of classes to have no sheets to sleep in.
- Shower Caddy or Bathroom Organizer- If your bathroom is in your dorm or residence room, then this item can probably be left off the list. If you are making a trip down the hall with all your essentials you will want a shower caddy or bathroom organizer. We have lots of different organizers to keep everything neat and tidy.
- Laundry Hamper or Bag- Think light! You might have a long walk to the laundry room. We have mesh laundry bags with drawstrings, handles, or shoulder straps. Think about how often you will need to do laundry and select one of an appropriate size. You might also want to consider getting mesh laundry bags in smaller sizes for washing your unmentionables and keeping them from getting lost.
- Pictures and other Decorations- There is one thing I love buying for Heirloom Linens and that is artwork and knick-knacks. Make your blank canvas of a room fit your style by adding some canvas wall art. You can also accessorize with some accent cushions or euro pillows.
- Bathrobe and Slippers- These are a must-have for those trips to the bathroom. We have a selection of robes and slippers for every student.
- Duvet and Duvet Cover- We spend 1/3 of our life in bed and sleep will be so important for you while you are at school. Choosing the right duvet for you will help ensure you get a great night’s sleep every night. Make your room your own by selecting a duvet cover that expresses you. Whether you want something tranquil or fun and colourful, we have a duvet cover for everyone. Don’t be fooled, there is no such thing as a twin XL duvet and duvet cover. Twin size works on both a twin and twin XL mattresses.
- Mattress Pad/Protector or Mattress Encasement- Most dorms are, shall we say, “well lived in”. A mattress pad is an absolute essential item for every dorm or residence. You can fully encase your mattress in an encasement and/or select a mattress pad/protector for ease of washing.
- Mattress Topper- College and university mattresses can be hard and uncomfortable. We have a selection of toppers in the form of featherbeds, polyester beds, wool overlays, and for the ultimate in comfort, 100% natural latex toppers.
- Pillows- Of course a pillow is an essential item. Select a pillow that is best for your sleeping style. Not one pillow is good for all people. We have pillows perfect for stomach, back, and side sleepers. You may even want to purchase an oversized Euro pillow that is perfect to lean up against the wall while studying or relaxing and watching Netflix.
We have put together some convenient bedding packages to make going back to school easy. Free shipping of our packages to your school in North America.